With thanks to my recent bout of great anxiety, I have managed to read all Harry Potter books (minus the Cursed Child) within 6 weeks. They have been a brilliant source of distraction for me, giving me the ability to lose myself in a world of fantasy – an escapism that only stories can provide.
Whilst reading these excellent stories, I made sure to fold a corner of a page whenever I found a quote that stood out to me. I normally do this when reading – either by folding a page or underlining in a colourful pencil, for my later self to find again or for when my future children read my books, so that they can see little snippets of wisdom that I personally picked out.
This time however, I have picked out those quotes to also share with you lovely folk. Some provide a metaphor for depression (quote no. 6), some are about love (quote no. 13), some describe humanity (quote no. 4), and one is my very favourite (quote no. 17).
Hope you like them:
1. “You sort of start thinking anything’s possible if you’ve got the nerve.” – Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix
2. “There is no shame in what you are feeling… On the contrary, the fact that you can feel pain like this is your greatest strength.” – Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix
3. “People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.” – Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
4. “Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth.” – Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
5. “You think the dead we have have loved ever truly leave us? You think that we don’t recall them more clearly than ever in times of great trouble?” – Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
6. “Dementors are among the foulest creatures that walk this earth. They infest the darkest filthiest places, they glory in decay and despair, they drain peace, hope and happiness out of the air around them.” – Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
7. “If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” – Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
8. “Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.” – Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
9. “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
10. “It does not do to dwell on our dreams and forget to live, remember that.” – Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
11. “The trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things which are worst for them.” – Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
12. “Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.” – Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
13. “To have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection for ever.” – Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
14. “Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
15. “Wit beyond measure is man’s greatest treasure.” – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
16. “Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love.” – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
17. “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Have you got any favourites that I’ve missed? Which book was your favourite? Be sure to let me know below!