My birthday is coming up and I will be turning 25, so I’m expecting a quarter-century crisis any day now.
I’ve had a few very good birthdays (one surprise trip to Paris, one planned trip to Amsterdam, one spent in Florida, and one that included a wild weekend in London AND another wild weekend in Cambridge), but for the most part my birthday can make me feel pressured to have fun.
I usually get overwhelmed when my birthday is coming up – I used to think that not having a super amazing party or not having enough friends made a birthday pointless. Thankfully now I try not to focus on the quantity of my friends but rather the quality.
This year I’m not expecting much and don’t really need a lot – the only things I really need right now are things that I have to do for myself – and I’m quite content with that. The things I need are big life changing type things that I finally feel ready to accomplish – something that I would have run away from a few months ago.
It feels strange moving closer to the end of my 20’s, but I can say with some confidence that I am stronger now than I ever have been before. I’m more comfortable with myself than ever. And I’ve learned quite a few life lessons in the process:
- Give yourself some time to do whatever it is that you love. Even if all you can manage is 5 minutes – 5 minutes is better than nothing.
- Stop apologising for things that don’t need apologising for.
- Always be kind because you never know what that other person has been through/is going through. Besides, the world can always do with a little (or a lot) more kindness.
- Be grateful to others and appreciate them.
- Embrace the lumps and bumps of your body.
- Let go of the haters/the people that cause more upset than happiness. They aren’t worth your time.
- Remember that sometimes you outgrow things, hobbies, even people – and that’s perfectly normal (even though it can be hard).
- Support friends and family by going the extra mile however you can.
- Healing and recovery takes time and patience (which is perfectly okay).
- People are often afraid/angry about things that they don’t understand. Don’t let their insecurities/ill-placed anger affect you.
- Don’t judge somebody because of something that makes them happy (for the most part anyway – I’m not supporting serial killers or anything).
- Reach out for help when you need it – there’s always going to be somebody out there who wants to listen.
- You can change your life at any time. Seriously.
- Stay weird. Be your true self right now.
- Don’t let anybody tell you that you can’t do something or that you don’t deserve something. Especially if that person is you. Believe in yourself.
- Creative hobbies are the outlet for your soul.
- Giving a helping hand will always make you feel good.
- You don’t have to be an adventurer to broaden your mind – just pick up a book.
- Not everyone you meet will like you and visa versa. That’s just life.
- Always have a notebook on hand.
- Remember what you used to wish for and what you have right now. You’ll be surprised what you have already managed to accomplish.
- Having the last word isn’t important.
- Pushing people away when you’re upset won’t make you feel any better.
- If you don’t ask, you don’t get.
- However hopeless a situation feels, things will change.