bad selfie day|bad selfi dey|Noun
A day in which no matter what pose you do, how you style your hair, whether you are wearing make-up or not, how lovely your clothes make you feel – you still feel like you look terrible through that front-facing camera lens. It is a day in which you feel like the mirror was lying to you this morning.
I’m sure that I am not alone in these kinds of days. Those days that begin with high confidence but end with the question of “is that what I actually look like?!”
Sometimes when I feel good about how I applied my make-up I will go forth and try to take a decent selfie. I always think that the reflection in my mirror is what I’m going to see on my phone’s screen – but most of the time it’s like looking at the ugly cousin version of who was standing in the mirror a second ago.
It can be quite a punch in what you thought was a beautifully sculpted face.
So here are some things to remember when a selfie has got you down:
- Cameras distort you (especially phone cameras I believe).
- Instagram models take hundreds of pics to get the right pose too.
- Your eyes are drawn to your ‘flaws’ because they are what you are insecure about. Others probably don’t even notice them.
- Remember how long it took you to craft those amazing brows.
- You don’t need to prove anything to anyone – that includes posting selfies to Instagram or Snapchat or whatever. A beautiful selfie doesn’t equal a beautiful life.
- Focus on the fact that you could actually be bothered with winged eyeliner this morning, not that they aren’t completely symmetrical.
- Stop looking at those Instagram models.
- Seriously, fuck those models.
- How you look doesn’t define your self-worth (even though it feels like it does sometimes).
- You’re beautiful.